[Mimedefang] freshclam -- Is it a daemon?

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 02:14:03 EDT 2005

I'm trying to automate the updating of clamav.  I'm using
  http://sial.org/howto/mimedefang/clamav/
as a HOWTO.

I've installed clamav 0.83 (which seems to be out of date now).

According to the link above, one of my options is to use a script
called up-avdefs.  The web page includes a link with the actual
script.  Yet the implication is that this comes with clamav.  When you
check the script provided by the HOWTO, the comments imply to me that
it comes with the clamav distro.  I don't see it in my distro.

So I moved on.  I'm looking at freshclam, and when I look at both the
config file along with the comments, the implication seems to be that
it runs as a daemon.  Yet, when I run freshclam, and then check for it
with ps -aux, I don't find any such item.

Freshclam seems to run once, and update the database.

So, do I simply place freshclam in the crontab, running it
periodically?  What am I missing?
   === Al