[Mimedefang] FTC asks ISPs to crack down on zombie PCs

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed May 25 19:50:22 EDT 2005

--On Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:14 PM -0500 Ian Mitchell
<trash at aftermagic.com> wrote:

> I have two broadband options. Cable and satellite. And it's a matter of
> picking your poisons at that point.

Same here. And I take back my earlier assertion about price. I'd pay double
to get a static IP that I could legally run a server from. I just checked
http://work.comcast.net and the only "business" class service I can get
still doesn't let me have that, and yet the price is exorbitant.

> I do not have a business account, and have had servers running on them for
> over 5 years now. Several techicians have been over before to test line
> quality and each has noted my configuration. In my oppinion, if they wish
> to specifically forbid them, then they should enforce it. I'm using their
> services responsibly and haven't had an issue with them (other than their
> really jacked up accounting department).

I keep wondering why they don't just block SYN packets bound for customer
equipment. Accepting those packets is pretty much the definition of a
server, so blocking them would instantly enforce the TOS, at least for TCP.

I've got Speakeasy business ADSL at the office. If only I could get that at
home....