[Mimedefang] spam now a registered trademark for downloadable software by Hormel

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue May 24 10:39:32 EDT 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> The wonderful world of software patents and trademarks
>
> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=76586902
>
> Now time to avoid to offer "anti-spam" solutions / software :} Hormel
> could that treat hostile.

I don't think it could apply to the industry we use it in..

 From what I understand, something like that can only be inforced when the
holder of the trademark has competition using the trademark.

Since hormel is in the food industry, computer companies claiming/using spam and
anti-spam aren't really using the trademark in any competitive way against hormel.

I'm not a legal expert, but I vaguely remember something like that..

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T, S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net
Work: bkamen at uiuc.edu
gPG Pub Key - http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/library

* NOTE: Opinions and Views discussed via email are my own and not that  *
* of the State of Illinois, University of Illinois or the Illinois Dept *
* of Natural Resources.                                                 *