[Mimedefang] Sober virus highlights problem

Dirk Mueller dmuell at gmx.net
Thu May 19 04:52:11 EDT 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 09:15, Jonathan Maliepaard wrote:

> I understand that if a domain is whitelisted then the system will not
> check the mail for spam at all. Is there a way that even if a domain is
> whitelisted that a custom rule can be checked first (like the subject
> lines from the sober virus)?

Assuming that this whitelisting happens via SpamAssassin (I don't use CanIT),
then this is not true. Whitelisting merely means adding a score of -100. so
if you raise the score of your sober rules to +120, those mails will be
catched again.

> And as another question should Clam not be discarding these emails as
> they are clearly virus related? Clam seems to discard phishing emails.

But they *are* not phishing mails, they are political propaganda, which is
something entirely different. It would be *very* wrong for a virus scanner to
discard such mails, and personally I would stop using such a virus scanner.