[Mimedefang] 4.7.1 sendmail error

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Thu May 19 06:05:27 EDT 2005

Greg,

The log indicates that your filter is being timed out after 170 seconds, which
is a strange value - the priority figure also suggests that the message is
particularly large, as the priority is calculated based on the message size
modified by the class of service and number of recipients - see
http://custom.lab.unb.br/pub/books/enm.unb.br/pub/Books_Oreilly/Oreilly/tcpip/se
ndmail/ch34_08.htm#SML2-CH-34-SECT-8-53 for details.

The most likely explanation is that your mimedefang-conf file has not been
updated:

# Number of seconds a process is allowed to scan an email before it is
# considered dead.  The default is 30 seconds; we suggest 300.
MX_BUSY=900

Also, please make sure that you are not running SpamAssassin on large messages -
it will take a very long time and use a large amount of memory as it does so:

    # Spam checks if SpamAssassin is installed
    my $msgsize= (-s "./INPUTMSG" );
    if ($Features{"SpamAssassin"}) {
        if ( $msgsize < 500*1024) {
            # Only scan messages smaller than 500kB.  Larger messages
            # are extremely unlikely to be spam, and SpamAssassin is
            # dreadfully slow on very large messages.

            my($hits, $req, $names, $report) = spam_assassin_check();

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741