[Mimedefang] [possibly off-topic] ALL TRUSTED SA Problem

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Wed May 18 14:51:39 EDT 2005

Joseph Brennan wrote:
> If mail comes from a host we trust, or comes with smtp auth, we don't
> run the Spamassassin tests.
>
> We do RBL with Mimedefang, not Spamassassin.
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd definitely works.
>
> It looks like this rule is there to un-do damage from running standalone
> Spamassassin on all mail.  If you use Mimedefang to select what to test,
> you've already excluded mail you trust.

The "trust" in trusted_networks isn't just about whether you trust the
*source* of a message, it's about which hosts you trust to provide
accurate Received: headers.

In theory, an incorrect trust path can cause problems for any rule that
acts on those headers.

By all means, if you've verified that the trust path is set correctly
and ALL_TRUSTED still misfires, disable it.  I'm just trying to point
out -- to *anyone* experiencing this issue, not just you, and not just
Kevin -- that the trust path is important for more than just that one rule.

--
Kelson Vibber