[Mimedefang] [possibly off-topic] ALL TRUSTED SA Problem

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed May 18 12:58:38 EDT 2005

--On Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:36 -0700 Kelson <kelson at speed.net> wrote:

> Joseph Brennan wrote:
>> It's a Spamassassin thing.  We changed its score to 0 after seeing
>> repeated examples of spam coming in with this marker.
>
> Not a good idea.  If ALL_TRUSTED is firing when it shouldn't, there are
> two possibilities:
>
> 1. The trust path is not set correctly.
> 2. There is a bug in SpamAssassin.
>
> In the vast majority of cases, it's #1, which means that a lot more than
> ALL_TRUSTED is going to be broken until that trust path is set.  SA will
> use the wrong Received: headers for RBL lookups, whitelist_from_rcvd
> rules won't necessarily work right, etc.

3. The Spamassassin library is being run by Mimedefang.

If mail comes from a host we trust, or comes with smtp auth, we don't
run the Spamassassin tests.

We do RBL with Mimedefang, not Spamassassin.

whitelist_from_rcvd definitely works.

It looks like this rule is there to un-do damage from running standalone
Spamassassin on all mail.  If you use Mimedefang to select what to test,
you've already excluded mail you trust.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York