[Mimedefang] More patent stupidity

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Sat May 14 13:04:24 EDT 2005

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> --On Friday, May 13, 2005 5:24 PM -0400 "David F. Skoll"
> <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/13/HNtrendmicropatent_1.html
>>
>> "The Trend Micro patent explains technology that scans e-mail and
>> Internet data transfers for viruses at gateways and servers, before
>> the data arrives at a desktop computer."
>>
>> Does anyone have prior art for gateway virus scanning prior to 1997?

What irks me about a lot of these patents is that the concept is simply reused
in a different manner.

I have a screw driver... it's been used on lawnmowers.. but now I'm going to use
it on my car... WOW! I SHOULD PATENT THAT IDEA/Reduction to practice.

Spare me, Computers have been scanning virii since the Crapintosh. (and possibly
earlier) Just because the scanning has been moved from the desktop to the server
or some other intermediary doesn't make it patentable.

Sad.. . Very sad.

  -Ben