[Mimedefang] More patent stupidity

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 13 19:20:08 EDT 2005

--On Friday, May 13, 2005 5:24 PM -0400 "David F. Skoll"
<dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/13/HNtrendmicropatent_1.html
>
> "The Trend Micro patent explains technology that scans e-mail and
> Internet data transfers for viruses at gateways and servers, before
> the data arrives at a desktop computer."
>
> Does anyone have prior art for gateway virus scanning prior to 1997?

The article indicates that the ITC has 45 days to overrule the judge. Do
they have a comment website where one can lobby to overturn it? I found
<http://www.usitc.gov/> but I get only 3 hits for Fortinet there and none
recent.

<http://www.usitc.gov/frontend/cgi-bin/search4.php?collections=all&query=fortinet&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=go>

This release from a year ago seems to replicate the info from the Infoworld
article:

<http://www.usitc.gov/ext_relations/news_release/2004/er0603bb1.htm>