[Mimedefang] rejecting invalid users

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu May 12 14:09:00 EDT 2005

--On Thursday, May 12, 2005 11:49 -0500 Shayne Hardesty
<lists at sh.birmingham.al.us> wrote:

>    Here is what I do: On my gateway servers I have no valid user accounts
> (except admin accounts).  I have a virtusertable file with entries like
> this:
>
> someuser at mydomain.com	someuser at smtp-server.mydomain.com

We're going to do something like this to route mail from our smtp
gateways to our new Cyrus server.  But it loses +detail, unless
you make TWO entries for each user, the second entry being

someuser+*@mydomain.com  %1%3 at smtp-server.mydomain.com

(it might be %1%2 there, I forget).  I don't like making two entries
so I think we will make a custom table and a few lines of rules in
SLocal_localaddr (local hacks for ruleset 5) to check that table
with or without +detail.  Sort of the same thing really.

But the point as to Mimedefang-- right, you need sendmail on the
gateway able to identify which addresses are valid, so that any
others can be rejected at the gateway.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York