[Mimedefang] rejecting invalid users

Shayne Hardesty lists at sh.birmingham.al.us
Thu May 12 12:49:47 EDT 2005

   Here is what I do: On my gateway servers I have no valid user
accounts (except admin accounts).  I have a virtusertable file with
entries like this:

someuser at mydomain.com	someuser at smtp-server.mydomain.com

   I have a perl script that updates the virtusertable file hourly from
our SQL database, so it stays up to date.  I've got over 3000 entries in
the file right now and there's no noticeable slowness on the lookups.
If you went this route you could have perl pull from SQL, LDAP, or
whatever source you want.

   The other advantage here is if your SQL or LDAP server goes down mail
doesn't start bouncing, the virtusertable simply doesn't get updated
until the server returns.  This was a big deal for us, I didn't want a
flaky LDAP server causing mail to bounce all over the place.

Shayne