[Mimedefang] rejecting invalid users

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Wed May 11 13:00:02 EDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:27:07 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote
> Super-Dome wrote:
> > currently all invalid recipients emails go to mail gateway and then exchange
> > server bounce it  . i want to reject invalid recipients at mail gateway

> > can i do this with mimedefang or sendmail ??

> Yes.  Check the Wiki at http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/?HomePage

> --
> David.

One other item to note... M$ Exchange 2003 or higher will be required if you
use the md_check_against_smtp_server function as described in the wiki...
anything less and you are stuck using one of the kludgy solutions presented on
the list such as your own hash file or an exported exchange list in ldap or
making ldap and exchange be happy together.... I think I also saw one that
used a domain controller... which might be a nicer solution as it is more M$
native and likely to be less of a hassle from the exchange side.

Personally... I'd upgrade exchange if I had to keep it as you also need the
2003+ version in order to do a number of things.. like report the STMP
response code to an end user instead of an exchange "it could be one of these
30 or so error messages" responses....

Jim
--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client