[Mimedefang] SMTP

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue May 10 05:47:38 EDT 2005

Christopher Roberts wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>
>>You literally telnet on P:25 to their SMTP server and type
>>the commands by hand.
>>If you still get the error - something is wrong on their end.
>

> You live and learn! I have tried doing this for
> mailgate01.barclays.co.uk and mailgate02.barclays.co.uk and 90% of the
> time both immediately fail with:
>
>    421 4.0.0 mailgate02.barclays.co.uk Server error
>
> So the error is at their end... ?
>
> But, I did managed to connect successfully a few times, and got as far
> as:
>
>    RCPT TO: <MY EMAIL at tridentgarages.co.uk>

Christopher,

  I'd telnet to their server on port 25 and do the following:

EHLO your.mailserver.hostname
(you should get a string of 250- response messages)
MAIL FROM: <your.email.address at your.domain>
(you should see another 250- response, if you get an error here, their
mail server doesn't like something about your email address. more than
likely your domain. more than likely your domain doesn't resolve properly)
RCPT TO: <the.email.address.you're.trying.to.send.to at barclays.co.uk>

if at this point it returns a 421 error, the problem is definitely on
their side, and it appears to be a problem with the recipient.

if you get another 250- response then type:
DATA
(you should get a 354- response, type in anything and then follow it by
a single . on its own line)

if HERE you get the error, then it could be related to anti-virus or
anti-spam software configuration on their end, or other general
configuration problems on their end.  It could be related to sender or
recipient depending on how their mail server is configured.

> Whereon I get "domain invalid" response. But I haven't seen any such
> failures in the logs, so I suspect that it generally doesn't get this
> far... Unless I don't have the log level set correctly - is there a
> recommended level for debugging? Currently:
>
>    define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `8')dnl
>    define(`confMILTER_LOG_LEVEL', `8')dnl

for debugging you might want to crank it up to 14

hope this helps

alan