[Mimedefang] SMTP

Carlton Thomas carlton at gifford.co.uk
Tue May 10 05:09:13 EDT 2005

Sorry, cant give you a definitive answer, but maybe, just maybe,
the bank have recently added some anti-spam measures to their
mailservers and are rejecting your mail because of one or both
of the following:-

1) Your server announces itself in the SMTP greeting using a
hostname which does not have an A record. This is what the
mimedefang list server records in the header:-

        [213.2.206.202] (may be forged))"

So either you need to make sure that debian.tridentgarages.co.uk
has an A record or tell your mailserver that its hostname is
mail.tridentgarages.com.

2) Your DNS needs some attention to ensure that your forward and
reverse lookups are consistent. If I do a lookup on the IP address
213.2.206.202 I get the hostname mail.tridentgarages.com. However,
if I do a lookup on the hostname mail.tridentgarages.com I get the
IP address 213.2.206.203. In fact, both IP addresses resolve to
hostname mail.tridentgarages.com.

Like I said, am not sure if this is contributing to your problems
but they sure wont help.

Regards !

--
Carlton
=============================
Email: admin at gifford.co.uk
Web: http://www.gifford.co.uk

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Christopher Roberts wrote:

> I am having problems emailing one particular company. Unfortunately that
> company happens to be our bank! The logs show lots of these:
>
> May  9 16:33:57 debian sm-mta[4054]: j49BZpii031004:
> to=<ADDRESSREMOVED at barclayscorporate.com>, delay=03:58:05,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=2280909,
> relay=mailgate02.barclays.co.uk. [62.189.96.212], dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: 421 4.0.0 mailgate02.barclays.co.uk Server error