[Mimedefang] Blocking IP #

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu May 5 12:40:07 EDT 2005

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> We had 250,000 Monday, 490,000 Tuesday, and 452,000 Wednesday.

You win! :-)

Our stats are here: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/resource_center/stats.php

A decided uptick around May 4th.

> The distribution of the attack may be strange.  This is the largest
> email virus outbreak we have ever seen here, but it's not making the
> news media.  Has this become a dog bites man story, or are we really
> getting more than most places?

I suspect it's because most high-visibility organizations like Intel,
Microsoft, Dell, Nortel, etc. finally got their act together and have
decent gateway filters, so there are no news stories about how
"Microsoft shuts down e-mail for 12 hours".

It's probably small companies and home users who are suffering from
this one.  (Is Sober.P coming in as a Windows executable?  I don't have
any samples -- I haven't bothered quarantining viruses for months now.
I still can't fathom why any organization running Windows would even
entertain the notion of permitting executables in via e-mail.)