[Mimedefang] Validate users before scanning? + Idea...

Paul Whittney pwhittney at net.arrivetech.com
Wed May 4 11:39:30 EDT 2005

Tina,

I suppose you could get mimedefang to open up the virtualUsers.db
file from sendmail before the virus scanner runs. I've seen code
snips from others that open the db files and use the data. Just a
thought. Not sure how useful it is.

Not sure if this is on topic or not...

With one group of servers I just dont have the power to run AV code
on them, nor do I want to uncompress every zip file to test for
files (anyway, our software guys still need to send .exe's, and
via zip files is the only way left to them, due to my rules), so
I'm matching on the attachments Base64 coding in sub filter.
I think there's a copy of my ziptest code around somewhere, but
grab the first line of $entity->body() and if it matches
 UEsDBAoAAAAAA.{6}uS6g1MtEAADLRAAAmAA
flag it as Sober.O (or P... or whatever the code is). As it seems the
zip files are named differently, but the .exe or .pif starts with the
same name in the file.

Your decision to quarantine, and replace, or discard.

So far its got 300 hits (on 4000 email names, as the virus has found
multiple addresses, I guess) in the last 24 hours. I get the MIMEDefang
quarantine emails, and so far they all look good. Now, I've isolated
3 sole IP's that are relaying this data, and added them to the access.db.

Curious on any thoughts, or issues, people see with this.

Best Regards,
	Paul Whittney