[Mimedefang] Installing on FreeBSD

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Tue May 3 12:44:21 EDT 2005

 Hi,

 Ok but this basically sucks. I'm sure I should be installing from ports.
But
 I don't seem to be able to do that, and I do know how to install source
 files.

 When I try  to do a pkg_add to install the mimedefang  port that I've
 downloaded from freebsd.org, I get this:

 radius# pkg_add -r mimedefang.tar.gz
 Error: FTP Unable to get
 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4
 -stable/Latest/mimedefang.tar.gz.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not
 found, no
 access)
 pkg_add: unable to fetch
 `ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-
 4-stable/Latest/mimedefang.tar.gz.tgz' by URL

 So I moved the tarball over to /usr/ports/distfiles, extracted it and ran
 make. That resulted in:

 radius# more distinfo
 MD5 (mimedefang-2.51.tar.gz) = 9c4df4ec349e414f893c940ff563bea5
 SIZE (mimedefang-2.51.tar.gz) = 302006
 radius# make
 "Makefile", line 53: Malformed conditional (${PERL_LEVEL} < 500601)
 "Makefile", line 53: Need an operator
 "Makefile", line 55: if-less endif
 "Makefile", line 55: Need an operator
 make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

 At this rate it'll be forever before I get mimedefang installed and in the
 meantime I have customers upset because they are receiving unacceptable
 levels of spam. Surely someone can help me out with installing mimedefang
 from source and getting this sendmail stuff I have questions about working.

 Of course, if someone  wants to tell me what I'm doing wrong in trying to
 install this as a package and howe to do it right, that would be OK too :-)

 I'm going to CC  this to the FreeBSD list in case someone on that list
might
 be able to help.

 Thanks,

 Lisa Casey

>>> Hi lisa,
>>>
>>>   You should use the port system to install it on freeBSD, think of it
>>> like the rpm for redhat... :)
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Ghislain.