[Mimedefang] Bad file descriptor - particularly AOL

Christopher Roberts cjr at tridentgarages.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 09:49:38 EST 2005

We have been unable to email AOL users recently, due to them enforcing
the requirement for a PTR record. Having finally (after numerous emails,
calls and faxes to our ISP) managed to have the PTR record created I was
fully expecting the problem to be resolved, but they are now showing in
mail.log as "Bad file descriptor".

E.g.
Mar 31 15:30:44 debian sm-mta[1463]: j2VDBr59024722:
to=<recipient at aol.com>, delay=01:18:51, xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=esmtp,
pri=930777, relay=mailin-04.mx.aol.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Bad
file descriptor

Out of the 407 "bad file descriptor" lines in mail.log, 339 are for
aol.com, which surely is more than coincidence. I know AOL come in for
much criticism, but is the problem at their end, or could I have a
misconfiguration that is effecting AOL more than others?

Or perhaps I need to wait for the PTR record to fully propagate before
worrying about this issue (completed at 12:17 today)? I suspect not.

Apologies if the answer is already sitting in the archives - I have
searched thoroughly, but don't believe they are quite the same
situation.

IO::Socket                    : Version 1.27
MIME::Tools                   : Version 5.411
MIME::Words                   : Version 5.404
Digest::SHA1                  : Version 2.01
Mail::SpamAssassin            : Version 2.55
Anomy::HTMLCleaner            : Version 1.21
File::Scan                    : Version 1.42
HTML::Parser                  : Version 3.26
HTML::TokeParser              : Version 2.24
Unix::Syslog                  : Version 0.100

Many thanks,

Chris Roberts.