[Mimedefang] Integrating SPF...

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Wed Mar 30 16:13:42 EST 2005

SPF fails on ALOT of ISPs that use national pop accounts for customers outside
their own popsites (QUEST, GlobalPOPs, Superheronetworks, etc)... 99.9% of
those customers WILL fail SPF as they are sending from an IP outside your
range but using your domain name (and by god I hope you have not added those
IP blocks to your relay file....)

Now this only really matters on your own mail server so as long as you check
something else to decide first (like TLS auth) then exempt those from being
rejected (or even performing the query as we wont use the results) then you
will prolly be ok.

Just something to keep in mind.

Jim

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:07:24 -0500 (EST), John Von Essen wrote
> David,
>
> So its not in MD 2.51, but it is in CanIt, right?
>
> How would MD handle it though? Does it effect spam score, or is it
> used as a blind rule?
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but the spf record will return a few possible
> results. Fail, Softfail, pass, neutral. If it returns Fail, I am confident
> enough to simply drop the email entirely at the MD layer.
>
> >From what I have found, very few people use fail (-all), rather they use
> softfail (~all).
>
> If thats the case, then in MD I guess you would do something like:
>
> 1. Drop it if it returns fail.
>
> 2. If it returns softfail proceed, then add 3.0 to spame score, etc.,.
>
> Of course, if SA has the spf rule, then you would just need (1).
>
> If you are going to implement something like this in a MD release, thats
> great. Otherwise I'll just use SpamAssassin's rule for now.
>
> Thanks
> John
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, David F. Skoll wrote:
>
> > John Von Essen wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering if SA or MD have integrated this feature for anti-spam
> > > purposes.
> >
> > I believe the latest SA releases incorporate SPF.  We support SPF
> > in CanIt using the Mail::SPF::Query perl module from CPAN.  It's
> > very easy to use; should only take a few minutes to integrate with
> > MIMEDefang.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David.

EsisNet.com Webmail Client