[Mimedefang] Integrating SPF...

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Wed Mar 30 11:58:03 EST 2005

John Von Essen wrote:
> One other thing (feel free to email me off list), what is the difference
> between Sender ID and using SPF records? Or are they the same thing....
> I like SPF, I like the fact that you control it within your own domain
> via your DNS server. When I hear Microsoft talk about Sender ID I get
> nervous, I envision some type of paid subscription to be listed on some
> central repository that Microsoft controls!

I'm not sure of the current status, since I stopped following it last
fall, but initially "Sender-ID" was the name given to a superset of SPF
and Microsoft's Caller-ID scheme.  Caller-ID also used DNS TXT records,
but the syntax was XML-based instead of fieldname:data style.  It also
checked different headers than SPF.  Sender-Id would check either
syntax.  (I don't remember what it was supposed to do if it found both.)

Sender-Id looked promising, as it combined two very similar plans, one
of which had already been deployed by quite a few early adopters...but
Microsoft wasn't willing to license their parts freely enough to satisfy
-- well, much of anyone -- and the IETF group working on it shut down
without settling on a standard.

SPF has a page on Sender-ID basics, including the PRA header that Mark
mentioned -- at http://spf.pobox.com/senderid.html

--
Kelson Vibber