[Mimedefang] Integrating SPF...

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Mar 29 17:15:12 EST 2005

John Von Essen wrote:

> So its not in MD 2.51, but it is in CanIt, right?

Yes, but as Keith Patton showed, it can be added to MD
with a dozen lines of Perl.

> How would MD handle it though? Does it effect spam score, or is it used as
> a blind rule?

MD handles it however you program it to handle it. :-)

CanIt lets you add different amounts to the score, depending on the return
code from the SPF query.  CanIt also lets you have exceptions, so you can
add different scores for particular domains.

> If thats the case, then in MD I guess you would do something like:

> 1. Drop it if it returns fail.
> 2. If it returns softfail proceed, then add 3.0 to spame score, etc.,.

That sounds reasonable.  I have it set up to add 5 for fail,
3 for softfail, and 0 for everything else.  I'm considering adding
0.7 or so for "pass" based on this article:

    http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2154

but haven't taken that step yet. :-)

> If you are going to implement something like this in a MD release, thats
> great. Otherwise I'll just use SpamAssassin's rule for now.

I won't be implementing SPF in MD for three reasons:

1) It's easy to do yourself in your filter.
2) There's already a SpamAssassin SPF plugin.
3) We need to have _some_ extra goodies in CanIt that aren't in MD. :-)