[Mimedefang] OT: New Sendmail spam block

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Fri Mar 25 15:53:41 EST 2005

You are neglecting section 4.1.4:

  An SMTP server MAY verify that the domain name parameter in the EHLO
  command actually corresponds to the IP address of the client.
  However, the server MUST NOT refuse to accept a message for this
  reason if the verification fails: the information about verification
  failure is for logging and tracing only.

and also the text of section 4.1.1.1 reads:

   In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
   4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
   the client system.

The keyword here is SHOULD.... which means the client does not have to or may
not be able to for some reason. I have logs of thousands of "BOGUS HELOS" and
have found a great many MTAs out there do not send correctly formatted
HELO/EHLO... including MS Exchange. In addition I would say at least 90% of
the windows MUAs out there do not send a correctly formatted HELO/EHLO.

In short, I do think if you are using the value in the HELO/EHLO string to
reject messages based soley on the formatting of that value, that you are in
violation of RFC 2821 section 4.1.1.1 and 4.1.4 and are going to get a great
many complaints from people as to "why cant I get this message from my
colleage at this institution...." or "Why is my message to XX at your
university rejected?"

Bottom line, I have had zero false positives in my testing with bad formatted
literals (bare IPs as a literal), these I reject after RCPT TO: to remain
compliant and to be able to not reject abuse and postmaster messages... which
by the way will also put you in violation.......

Rejecting the others due to them not having a FQDN that is resolvable is just
asking for more work for your mail admins....

Did you not enable the business logic with some logging first (and no rejects)
to see what impact this would have on your mail server and customer base?

Jim

PS: results here are from my testing here with my customer base, your results
may vary.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:29:46 -0500, John Buysse wrote

--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client