[Mimedefang] OT: New Sendmail spam block

John Buysse jbuysse at nd.edu
Fri Mar 25 12:29:46 EST 2005

I am with one of the universities Ben is dealing with.  I was quoting
RFC 2821, not RFC 821.  We are not rejecting messages with an invalid
HELO command based on RFC 1123, as we are not verifying the the info
provided.  We are rejecting messages with an invalid HELO command based
on RFC 2821.  If a remote server uses one of our IP's in the HELO
command, our servers will reject the message.  Our servers will also
reject the message if the value given in the HELO command is an
unqualified hostname or is not an address literal, as stated in sections
4.1.1.1 and 4.1.3 of RFC 2821.  We are only ensuring the value given in
the HELO command is syntactically correct as stated in RFC 2821.

Thanks,

John Buysse