[Mimedefang] OT: New Sendmail spam block

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Mar 24 17:53:16 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 16:17 -0600, Ben Kamen wrote:
> The person I've been having the problems with is quoting RFC821, but
> forgetting he's breaking RFC1123 which is the amendment to 821.

What are you sending as your HELO argument? Here are some sample forms:

foo
foo.example.com (which doesn't resolve)
foo123.example.com (which doesn't match the reverse DNS of the server)

If it's anything but the last form, he's not breaking the letter of the
RFCs. You could argue that it's violating the "be liberal in what you
accept" philosophy but that's no worse than you violating the "be
conservative in what you send" philosophy. How much that philosophy
applies in today's hostile Internet (especially with regard to e-mail)
is a question for another day.

--
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>
Wikstrom Telecom Internet