[Mimedefang] OT: New Sendmail spam block

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Mar 24 17:47:40 EST 2005

James Ebright wrote:
 > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:17:45 -0600, Ben Kamen wrote
 > It doesnt sound Kosher to me... but... I have to ask.. why is your server not
 > sending him a FQDN that resolves correctly in DNS as the HELO?

It's a norton anti-virus gateway sitting behind a firewall. Right now, it just
hands out it's hostname to the server it's talking to. I'm not even sure we
can change the items in question... I'm going to issue a fix to the customer
to help him absolve the problem for good in the future.. but now I'll have to
set up a static mapping through the firewall and make sure all the hostnames
match up as this "new rule" everyone's implementing seems to be quite picky.
And that's never a good thing.

Meanwhile, the admin of the system in question already told me this was a set
of rules they implemented a couple weeks ago. Thus the reason this one
particular route just broke...

I pointed out to him that it does indeed break RFC1123... we'll see how it
goes from there.

  -Ben