[Mimedefang] Routine to check validity of user on remote box

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Thu Mar 24 12:21:38 EST 2005

Keith:

If your destination box gives an error for unknown users, you can enable
filter recipient and use MD's md_check_against_smtp_server routine.  On my
boxes, I edit /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang to enable filter recipient and I
have routines like this in my filter:

sub filter_recipient {
  my($recip, $sender, $ip, $host, $first, $helo, $rcpt_mailer, $rcpt_host,
$rcpt_addr) = @_;

  my($answer, $explanation);

  if ($recip =~ /@domaintocheck.com>?$/i) {
    ($answer, $explanation) =  md_check_against_smtp_server($sender, $recip,
"intel1.peregrinehw.com", "mail.domaintocheck.com");
    if ($answer eq 'TEMPFAIL') { # This let's me be a backup MX if the
primary server is down.
      $answer = 'CONTINUE';
    }
    return ($answer, $explanation);