[Mimedefang] for mcafee lovers

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 22 20:36:29 EST 2005

--On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:37 PM -0500 "David F. Skoll"
<dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>
>> I have heard people ask, "how many AV scanners should I run"?
>> Some say "one" - some say "as many as you can get".
>> The McAfee exploit leads me to say "two"
>
> I say: You should run zero AV scanners, because you should not be running
> systems that are susceptible to e-mail viruses.

We run no AV scanners, because we reject mail with executable file
attachments and zip files.  To my knowledge we have accepted absolutely
zero email viruses in the two years or so since we implemented this.
Mimedefang made this possible.

Our only possible interest is in being able to accept zip files by
unpacking and scanning the contents.  We might install Clam to do so.
I would like to use Mimedefang to insert a warning text on zip file
messages that we accept if we do this.

Joseph Brennan
Columbia University in the City of New York