[Mimedefang] for mcafee lovers

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Mar 22 16:37:19 EST 2005

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> I have heard people ask, "how many AV scanners should I run"?
> Some say "one" - some say "as many as you can get".
> The McAfee exploit leads me to say "two"

I say: You should run zero AV scanners, because you should not be running
systems that are susceptible to e-mail viruses.

That being said, we do run Clam because we ship it with CanIt, and we need
to eat our own dog food.  The only thing Clam gives us is the ability to
say "Oh, look how much disk space we saved by /dev/null'ing all those
viruses this week."  It doesn't actually add to our security (and may
even subtract from it if a Clam exploit is ever discovered...)

(Well, OK.  Some RP employees use Windoze at home, and I suppose they
might check their e-mail from home, so Clam probably is more useful
than I'm admitting... grumble grumble...)