[Mimedefang] REJECT in filter_relay not returning proper code?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Mar 17 18:57:04 EST 2005

Kelson wrote:
> Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>> but the sender, rather than seeing the more descriptive message about
>>> what the problem is, sees only this:
>>>
>>> 554 smtp-in1.uah.edu ESMTP not accepting messages
>>>
>>>   Is this a problem with MD, my code, sendmail, or something else?
>>> Thanks...
>>
>> This is by design.  Your server is rejecting the connection, so
>> there's no opportunity to pass messages to the client.
>
> Are you sure?  Because if that's the case, there's no reason for the
> second parameter in the return value for filter_relay.

Ah, you have a point. :)
Maybe the ISP is implementing some kind of SMTP passthrough proxy?  Bit of a longshot, but AOL did this, so it's possible.

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"