[Mimedefang] REJECT in filter_relay not returning proper code?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Mar 17 17:42:31 EST 2005

Jim McCullars wrote:
> Hi, I have this as part of my filter_relay:
>
> Someone from an ADSL swbell address is trying to send me email and it
> is getting rejected by filter_relay.  The log message on my end is
> this:

> but the sender, rather than seeing the more descriptive message about
> what the problem is, sees only this:
>
> 554 smtp-in1.uah.edu ESMTP not accepting messages
>
>   Is this a problem with MD, my code, sendmail, or something else?
> Thanks...

This is by design.  Your server is rejecting the connection, so there's no opportunity to pass messages to the client.

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"