[Mimedefang] Fw: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Mar 17 13:31:13 EST 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 03/17/2005 12:33:54
PM:

> I gave away my copy of the first edition (cpright 1993), but I believe
> it gave a similar example, but using the checkcompat() routine.  If any
> list members have a copy of the first edition, please post.

I have a copy of the first edition of Sendmail,  (c) 1993, printing histry
shows :November 1993: First Edition, Feb 1994: Minor correction, Sept
1994: Minor corrections.

The only instance of checkcompat() in the index points to pg 191, where
they discuss the code for the function in conf.c.

"Inside conf.c is the often overlooked routine checkcompat().  It has
existed since Version 3, and is intended to allow the site administrator
to accept, reject, and log mail delivery attempts.  It contains coments
describing one way to code it.  In this section, we provide three other
examples of ways it can be used."

They do document the most interesting variables include user and host
portions of the recipient, the IP of the sending host, the name of the
sending host, and the sender information.

They show examples of code for the following scenarios:

Accept only mail from our domain

Refuse to act as a mail gateway

Limit size of guest messages

Nothing specifically about using it to make decisions based on both sender
and recipient.   Bummer, it would be nice to rub their nose in an older
prior work, but it sounds like 2nd edition might do the trick