[Mimedefang] Fw: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 17 12:33:54 EST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 04:10 pm, Chris Myers wrote:
> Well, after nearly 6 years and lots of hand wringing, we finally were
> awarded US patent 6,868,498 for our user-level blacklisting as long-ago
> disclosed to the ASRG in
> http://www.shaftek.org/publications/asrg-ipr.html#4.2 .
>
> USPTO link:
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/ne
>tahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=6,868,498.WKU.&OS=PN/
>6,868,498&RS=PN/6,868,498
>
> We even got a little bit of coverage from our local press
> http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2005/03/14/daily22.html?f=et71
>
> We take the mail-from/rcpt-to pair to decide whether to return an error
> before the DATA command is accepted.

Page 512--513 of the Second edition of "Sendmail" by Costales and Allman,
O'Reilly, 1997, Section 29.10.4 The check_compat Rule Set.

 Not all situations can be resolved by simply checking the recipient
 or sender address.  Sometimes you will need to make judgement based
 on pairs of addresses....

 Other uses for the check_compat rule set might be the followwing

    * Screening a particular recipient to prevent that user from
      receiving objectionable mail form a specific source.

I gave away my copy of the first edition (cpright 1993), but I believe
it gave a similar example, but using the checkcompat() routine.  If any
list members have a copy of the first edition, please post.

Mike

Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    Email, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/