[Mimedefang] Weird issue with Outlook + "Rich Text" + attachments

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 16 12:32:21 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:22 -0500 Kris Deugau <kdeugau at vianet.ca>
wrote:

> I just had a customer report that mail sent from MS Outlook clients
> (Outlook 2000 I think) in "Rich Text" (RTF?) format, with attachments,
> through a server I set up for them, arrives with no attachment.

The attachments are in a winmail.dat file.  People who read mail with
anything besides Outlook cannot open them.  Some clients show an
attachment that cannot be opened; others show no attachment.

Believe it or not turning on and off RTF is the way to turn on and off
this behavior.  It should always be *off* for Internet mail.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York