[Mimedefang] Weird issue with Outlook + "Rich Text" + attachments

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Wed Mar 16 11:22:45 EST 2005

I just had a customer report that mail sent from MS Outlook clients
(Outlook 2000 I think) in "Rich Text" (RTF?) format, with attachments,
through a server I set up for them, arrives with no attachment.

Plaintext mail with attachments goes through just fine.  The IT guy that
called me wasn't certain if HTML mail showed the same problem.

Has anyone heard of attachments getting dropped from certain client-side
email formats when they shouldn't be?

I'm fairly sure this is not a MIMEDefang issue - this is apparently a
long-standing issue that happened with a much older server (sendmail
8.9.something) I had set up some time ago, and seems to have continued
with the machine I recently set up as a replacement (running sendmail
8.12.something, with MIMEDefang to add a footer to outgoing mail).  I
was careful to disable/comment out any sections of the default
mimedefang-filter that might have done something like that - but I'm
never entirely certain I haven't missed something when I get a report of
Weird Things Happening.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!