[Mimedefang] Installing clamav with MIMEDefang

Charles mdlist at sterlingideas.com
Mon Mar 14 07:51:06 EST 2005

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
> Consider running clamav-milter as well as MIMEDefang's built-in clamav support.  They parse things slightly different ways.
>
> Also, if you have clamav-milter first in your milter list, many viruses will be caught by clamav-milter before they hit MIMEDefang (at least, the DATA filter parts.)  This will free up a comparatively large MIMEDefang thread for scanning other email that didn't get caught by clamav-milter.

On the other hand, MIMEDefang can catch some simple, quick, and cheap
things before going through the relatively large expense of virus
scanning.  For example, I'm rejecting messages based on a HELO value of
myself at the head of my filter 4 times more often than a virus is
caught.  Running this one test prior to virus scanning pays large dividends.

Just depends on what you're tuning the system to address.

Charles