[Mimedefang] Problem running virus scanner

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Mar 13 16:50:01 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> However, I still don't understand how this failure can shut down
> mimedefang altogether.

If there's any weirdness with the virus scanner, then by default,
MIMEDefang tempfails the mail rather than taking a chance and letting
it through.

> In case it wasn't clear, when these failure periods happened, all
> incoming and outgoing mail was deferred (temp fail), not just some
> messages which presumably triggered this bad behavior by uvscan.

Then that sounds like a resource-starvation issue.  Maybe the load on the
box was high, or memory was low, or uvscan was in the middle of doing some
periodic operation like signature updates.  You'd best ask NAI what it
could mean.