[Mimedefang] Thought I should share this - Reduced Junk traffic with md_check_against_smtp_server

Larry Starr larrys at fullcompass.com
Fri Mar 11 13:14:28 EST 2005

I am running a configuration with MD - 2.37, SA - 2.63 on my Web-facing RedHat
mailserver.  There are no local users on that mailserver.  All incoming mail
is passed to a local mail server for handling.

Over the past month or so the volume of Junk mail addressed to bogus users,
and bounces, with from addresses for bogus users has skyrocketed.

Yesterday I added "filter_recipient", with a call to
"md_check_against_smtp_server" for inbound mail.  I had been aware of the
call for some time, but was a bit anxious about the additional network
traffic that it would create.   I finally concluded that the traffic created
by all of these messages flowing in and out, through both servers was worse.

Last night I implemented this change to my filter:
1.	My external mail server load has dropped from [4-9].0 to 0.[2-9].
2.	The external mail server has rejected roughtly 9,000 messages that it
	would otherwise have to filter and handle.
3.	My "postmaster" email, a side effect of handling these messages,
	particularly bogus bounces has dropped from, roughtly 1000, to 6.
	These 6 are, in fact, valid postmaster email.

Life is good!
Larry G. Starr - larrys at fullcompass.com or starrl at globaldialog.com
Software Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.
Phone: 608-831-7330 x 1347  FAX: 608-831-6330