[Mimedefang] OT can some help me with this?

Jerry Vonau jvonau at winnipegmotorexpress.com
Thu Mar 10 10:49:15 EST 2005

On Wednesday, March 09, 2005 17:30, Ole Craig [SMTP:olc at cs.umass.edu] wrote:
> On 03/09/05 at 16:53, 'twas brillig and Jerry Vonau scrobe:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Just need to pick some brains here. My mail server is having trouble sending mail
> > to one mail server, when I telnet to port 25 I get this back:

	<snip>

> > The tech at the ISP says that everything is fine on their end and there must be problem with me.
> > I don't think it's me, as I not the one deferring the connection attempt. Any thoughts out there?
> >

> You're correct, it's not your mailserver software. Have you tried the
> telnet test from another host? (i.e. using a different internet-facing
> IP?)
>

> 		Ole

Thanks Ole

Well, I could telnet from a different host, so I just rerouted the connection up
my vpn and made it appear to be from my other box. I'm waiting for a call back
from the ISP, time to get the BS filter ready. Thank for putting my mind at rest.

>From my end I was receiving this bounce:

Mar  9 18:53:47 scanmail sendmail[19712]: j29H806h013343: to=<XXXX.XXXXX at shaw
cable.com>, delay=07:45:47, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=40802345, relay=s
hawmail.shawcable.com. [64.59.128.220], dsn=4.2.1, stat=Deferred: 452 4.2.1 mail
box temporarily disabled: XXXX.XXXXX at shawcable.com

So my machine kept tring to deliver the mail, as that was a tempfail for the mailbox.
Then at some point it, it appears that I was blacklisted because the bounce switched to:

Mar  8 16:38:38 scanmail sendmail[3371]: j28GoNOs030800: to=<dave.monteith at shawc
able.com>, delay=05:48:14, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=31441946, relay=sh
awmail.shawcable.com. [64.59.128.220], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection rese
t by shawmail.shawcable.com.

Which stopped delivery to all domains hosted on that machine. It appears that the tempfailing
mailbox triggered some thing on that machine that blacklisted me. (think it was while I was on
the phone with the ISP...)

What blows my mind is that I was not the one tempfailling the delivery, that should not count towards
what ever they are using to count failed connection attempts, my machine is doing the right thing by
tring to deliver this piece of mail (maybe too often), that was deferred by them. If their machine would
perm fail the mail, my box would stop trying.

I'm just making sure that I have everything right, on my end
My question is what would be considered acceptable for a retry interval?
1 min, 5 min, 1 hour?

Jerry