[Mimedefang] Problem running virus scanner

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 9 21:30:45 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> Mar  9 02:37:29 mail mimedefang.pl[79764]: Problem running virus scanner: code=6, category=swerr, action=tempfail

> In case it matters, the virus scanner in use is uvscan (NAI) coupled
> with perl File::Scan, although I've also added some others since the
> problems surfaced.

uvscan is exiting with an exit code of 6, which (according to what little
documentation I have) means "A general problem occurred".  (The comment
in mimedefang.pl adds a harsh retort.)

You need to file a bug report with NAI asking them to write decent
software, or at least document their return codes a little better so
you can take prudent action.

If you find that these are all false positives, you can edit the
routine interpret_nai_code to return OK if uvscan exits with an
exit code of 6.