[Mimedefang] Problem running virus scanner

Steve Sizemore steve at ls.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:28:16 EST 2005

Mimedefang has been running well for me since last June, on two
different FreeBSD servers. Recently, though (beginning February 24)
I'm seeing periods of failures, marked by entries in the log files
similar to this:

Mar  9 02:37:29 mail mimedefang.pl[79764]: Problem running virus scanner: code=6, category=swerr, action=tempfail
Mar  9 02:37:29 mail sm-mta[88575]: j29AbTkY088575: Milter: data, reject=451 4.3.0 Problem running virus-scanner
Mar  9 02:37:29 mail sm-mta[88575]: j29AbTkY088575: to=<steve at math.berkeley.edu>, delay=00:00:00, pri=215450, stat=Problem running virus-scanner

These occur in bunches, and persist for an hour or more until things
return to normal. So far, I haven't been able to correlate them with
any specific cause. I'm guessing that it's some sort of timeout, but
I've tried fiddling with all of the various timeouts that I can find,
and in general, changing things makes the problem worse, rather than
better.

It's a serious problem, because during these periods certain mail
clients can't send outgoing mail.

Any ideas on how to go about debugging this, or better yet, does
anyone have the answer already?

In case it matters, the virus scanner in use is uvscan (NAI) coupled
with perl File::Scan, although I've also added some others since the
problems surfaced.

Thanks.
Steve
--
Steve Sizemore <steve (at) ls.berkeley.edu>, (510) 642-8570
Unix System Manager