[Mimedefang] defunct defang processes

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Mar 7 10:14:42 EST 2005

On Jun 22,  8:58pm, "David F. Skoll" wrote:
} On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > } 	I have installed sendmail/mimedefang/spamassasin on a solaris system.
} > } It seems to be working OK, but some of the defang processes created by
} > } the mimedefang program stay around even the mail for which the process
} > } was created has been processed and it's subdirectory in
} > } /var/spool/MIMEDefang has been removed. These processes are marked as
} > } defunct.
}
} >      Hmm, this is interesting.  I'm seeing the same thing on NetBSD
} > 2.0.  Since this is the first release of NetBSD with native pthreads, I
} > thought it was an OS issue, but maybe not.  I ended up writing a script
} > that uses md-mx-ctrl slaves to find out which slaves MIMEDefang knows
} > about and kill the rest, which is run periodically from cron.
}
} That doesn't make too much sense.  Are you seeing defunct "mimedefang"
} threads, or defunct "mimedefang.pl" Perl processes?  If the former, then

     The latter, mimedefang.pl processes.  Unlike Linux, NetBSD doesn't
show threads as if they are seperate processes.

}-- End of excerpt from "David F. Skoll"