[Mimedefang] Trying to find cause of tempfails

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Mon Mar 7 09:36:22 EST 2005

I believe that is a generic sendmail "timeout while talking to the milter"
type return. Basically sendmail thinks it is talking to dead air for some reason.

I would check your timeout string for the mimedefang milter in sendmail.mc,
make sure DNS resolved form the mail server for this user, etc. Perhaps this
user is trying to send a monster message that is taking MD unusually long to scan?

Here is the default milter strings  in sendmai.mc for mimedefang and their
meanings:
# INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:5m;R:5m')

    * F=T: instruct sendmail to send ALL pieces of mail through the milter.
Tempfail if cannot.
    * Timout options for milter, If the scripts are not set, the default
values are: T=C:5m;S:10s;R:10s;E:5m
    * C: is the connection time between Sendmail and the milter.
    * S: is the time for sending data from Sendmail to milter.
    * R: is the recieving time between Sendmail and the milter.
    * E: is the end of message time between Sendmail and milter.

Jim

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:09:15 -0500 , Cormack, Ken wrote
> Group,
>
> This morning, I've been trying to diagnose a type of tempfail I'm repeatedly
> seeing, when a particular party tries emailing to us.  The tempfail verbage
> is non-descript, and doesn't match any strings I've got in my filter.
> Perhaps one of you could help identify the reason these are tempfailing?
>
> Just one such example looks like this (some address munging applied,
> to protect the innocent)...
>
> Mar  7 01:00:19 mail01 sendmail[31935]: j2760J2V031935:
> from=<SELEX-FACS at MUNGEDSENDER.COM>, size=26614, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<02F117E1B24BA9F2 at munged.com>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
> relay=gbhub.mungeddomain.com [151.147.XXX.32]
> Mar  7 01:00:21 mail01 sendmail[31935]: j2760J2V031935: Milter: data,
> reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again later
> Mar  7 01:00:21 mail01 sendmail[31935]: j2760J2V031935:
>
> to=<cindyw at mungedrecip.com>, delay=00:00:02, pri=56614, stat=Please try
> again later
>
> As you can see, the log entries don't say much, and none of my rules
> (that I'm aware of) send a "451 4.3.2" tempfail, specifically.
>
> Anyone recognize this?
>
> Ken

EsisNet.com Webmail Client