[Mimedefang] SURBL WOES

Sven Willenberger sven at dmv.com
Thu Mar 3 23:35:04 EST 2005

Kayne Kruse presumably uttered the following on 03/03/05 12:35:
> Anyone else having problems with MD 2.51 and SA 3.0.2 on perl 5.6.1 on
> FreeBSD 4-11-STABLE not seeing SURBL?
>
> I am able to get SURBL checks working in command line test of email.  Even
> spamassassin -D -C /usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf -t
> < test.txt actually will produce surbl hits.  Yet mail running through
> mimedefang refuses to honor the SALocalTestsOnly=0 in the filter.
>
> Im just failing to see what is causing the problem.  I've just assumed it had
> to do with some perl module permissions.
>

> Kayne

There are two ways you can get this to work:

1) Look for the following lines in mimedefang.pl (I included line
numbers from mine to help narrow it down):

    6079         $SASpamTester = Mail::SpamAssassin->new({
    6080             local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
    6081             dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
=> 6082             LOCAL_RULES_DIR    => $LOCAL_RULES_DIR,
    6083             userprefs_filename => $config});

Rmove the line that reads LOCAL_RULES_DIR as another part of the process
already reads the rulesets or

2) cp or mv the init.pre file that resides in
/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin to your /usr/local/etc/mimedefang
directory.

Using the first tweak allowed SURBL to work again on my system after an
upgrade had caused them to stop (search the archives from about November
for details) and I have heard of success with method 2 from other people.

Sven