[Mimedefang] FOLLOWUP Q - Using a db for subject lines to blo ck

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Thu Jun 23 10:46:40 EDT 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:

> You are now converting an O(1) or possibly O(log N) database lookup
> into an O(N) or possibly O(N log N) scan through the database (N is
> the number of keys in the database table.)

Thinking about this a bit more, my objective was to just try to deal with
keywords that were spaced out "l i k e  t h i s".

Here's a new addition to the subject-line block rule that will help some,
for those who are interested.

        $lc_subject =~ s!((^|\s)\S\s(\S(\s|$)){2,})!
            my $lc_subject_x=$1;$lc_subject_x=~s/\s//g;sprintf "%s","
$lc_subject_x ";!ego;

This line was added just above the line that collapsed whitespace.

This will turn an incoming subject line of "F R E E stuff H E R E more S T U
F F" into "FREE stuff HERE more STUFF".

If any of the example words "free", "here", or "stuff" is in the database,
the above additional code will allow the rule to trap the subject.

Note this won't catch "f r e e   s t u f f" unless "freestuff" is in the
database.

Ken