[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:05:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'm asking about your direction. If you've accepted a message from
> some user, queued it, then your attempt to deliver is rejected and
> you construct a bounce (suppose the next server's virus scanner is
> better than your own...), how do you ensure that the bounce you
> send goes to your user's mailbox, not some forged address?

   Now you are going off in another direction.  The original discussion
was whether to reject or silently drop a message that *I* have flagged as
a virus.  The question of what to do with a negative DSN from another MTA
is a separate issue altogether, and is an issue whether the mail is not
delivered because it has a virus, was flagged as spam, user over quota,
bad recipient, etc.

   If I have accepted a message from a user on our campus and queued it
for delivery and it gets bounced, many times it will wind up in the
postmaster's mailbox.  And you can bet that I will find out why a user on
campus is sending out emails with a bad return address.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville