[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Jun 30 09:39:35 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 06/29/2005 05:06:21
PM:

> I agonized over this decision for quite a while, but finally came
> down on the "Discard Silently" side.  FP's from anti-virus scanners
> are extremely rare, possibly unheard of, so on balance, I think
> discarding is better than rejecting for viruses.

Symantec (back when it wwas Norton AV) used to generate some false
positives in their desktop AV products, so I'm leary of just dropping
messages.  If I refuse delivery, I don't feel any responsibility for the
NDN generated by some other system.  They should not have accepted the
mail for relay anyways, unless it truly was from an authorized user, in
which case they deserve the bounces.