[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Wed Jun 29 15:06:38 EDT 2005

Matt Schumacher wrote:

> It's not an issue of processing time, or if the message should die, it's
> an issue of correctly reporting what happened <snip>

There is that issue of your other MX servers dealing with a single infected
message multiple times (after one MX rejects, the others *may* go through
the same process), let's not forget that.  If you only have ONE MX server,
ok, reject, discard, doesn't matter, but not the case when you have more
than one gateway MX, or better yet, a spooler.

I see viruses as nuisances not only because they infect Windows PCs and turn
them into spam generators, but also because they can cause mail traffic to
increase exponentially across an entire network or number of networks.

- Chris

Chris Gauch
Systems Administrator
Digicon Communications, Inc.