[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Wed Jun 29 13:32:55 EDT 2005

Jim wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:52:22 -0400, Chris Gauch wrote
> > I just think virus-infected email belongs in /dev/null
>
> Yeah, but why accept it and send it to your bit-bucket in the first place
> when
> you can simply refuse to accept it? ;-)

Well, you have to accept the message data to scan it in the first place.
Since I already wasted my time scanning it with the virus scanner, I might
as well take the nanosecond involved in accepting the message and then just
throw it out.  We scan for viruses before any spam scanning is performed.

In my opinion, the virus has to meet its doom somewhere, that way I know
it's gone and not floating around on the net causing problems for someone
else (perhaps being a thorn in our side again).  I think it's safe to say
that don't use too many additional resources by throwing virus-infected mail
into the bit bucket after it has already been identified as "infected" by
our virus scanner. ;-)

- Chris

Chris Gauch
Systems Administrator