[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Wed Jun 29 12:52:22 EDT 2005

> It looks to me that your gateway was sending notifications to the
> senders, that is not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about your
> gateway resulting in a "554 Message rejected status" which in your
> example above would have been sent to the zombies.

That's definitely a good point that I did not consider -- I was just
equating "reject" with "bounce", and the reject would be fine just as you
stated.  Most people think that "rejecting" is the same as "bouncing", which
was an assumption that I should not have made.  Rejecting at the SMTP level
makes sense, and would not generate too much traffic.  I just think
virus-infected email belongs in /dev/null.

- Chris

Chris Gauch
Systems Administrator
Digicon Communications, Inc.