[Mimedefang] Virus-notification for Admin and Recipient?

Albert Ulmer jayaeu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:24:19 EDT 2005

Hi there,

we're currently in the process of switching our inbound eMail scanning
over to MIMEDefang. Before, we used to include the milter statements
for AntiVir MailGate and SpamassMilter into sendmail.mc, which worked
nicely, but we wanted more control over attachments and MIME handling,
so we decided to use MIMEDefang from now on.

The problem is that our users and admin personnel have become used to
the behaviour of AntiVir MailGate, which sends a short notification
email to the admin, who it was that would have received a virus. In
addition, users were also send a short email stating that a virus
headed for them has been blocked.

Now, I'm having a hard time reproducing this behaviour with
MIMEDefang, because the default filter will only log that there was a
certain virus in the filter_begin() function.

I already searched up and down the search engines, but I could not
find any reference on how to send a notification email to our admins
containing original sender, virus blocked and recipients as well as a
separate email to the recipients containg a short note saying "Virus
xyz sent to you by Abc has been blocked!".

I'd be grateful for any help or pointers whatsoever!

Thank you in advance,
Albert Ulmer.

P.S. We're using the stock packages for Sendmail, Spamassassin and
MIMEDefang from Debian Sarge.